Tuesday, August 4, 2015

I found this article that tries to summarize the commonalities between Self Help Books

What The Greatest Self-Help Books Of The Last Decades Can Teach You In 7 Minutes looks like a very good summation article. Of course in my experience, if you say something, no matter how concise and meaningful in too few words, everyone seems to agree then proceed to ignore the advice.

Apparently only the hard pressed sale of a concept, or the hard learned lesson by experience, seem to leave a lasting impression on the behavior of humankind. When I was late in high school and early in college I happened to go through a shelf or so of self help books from my local library. I felt enlightened, even though the hard sell and ethical proves of the authors seemed excessive. Later I have an Intro to Psychology text 101 in college and realized that paragraphs and even sentences in that book believed they imparted the entire wisdom of books I had read. In one case a single sentence covered 3 different books I had read.

In truth, the only thing I remember now decades later about that intro book, was that it tried to state enormous value in minimal words, and verify by testing. Other than that it was a sad failure in education. It seriously minimized hard won truths, and highly valued it's own authors opinions without ethical proof. Hence I still advocate going through deeper topical self help books in depth.
Here are a few of the summarized books listed in the articles. I recommend the article, but also the actual books as well:

I have actually read and recommended elsewhere several of these books. Not all are available in audio formats but most at least in kindle or digital format.

No comments:

Post a Comment